New Hamburg Carnegie Library
Date grant received: April 30, 1912
Amount of grant received from the Carnegie Foundation: $8,000
Date library opened: 1918
Architect: James A. Russell
In 1881 the New Hamburg Public Library began as the Mechanics' Institute. It was a subscription-based library and housed in the Imperial Hotel building. The Mechanics' Institute was replaced by the New Hamburg Public Library and in 1911 the library applied for a grant from the Carnegie Foundation which was then recieved on April 30, 1912. After secruing the land for the building, and having the architect James A. Russel design the building, the library opened in the year of 1918.
The library was renovated in 1969 and then in 1995 it was expanded to include the recently vacated and relocated township offices. The New Hamburg Carnegie Library continues to serve the growing community of New Hambrug.
Visit the New Hamburg Branch of the Waterloo Regional Library website for a more detailed account of the library's history.