Waterloo Carnegie Library
Date grant received: July 18, 1902
Amount of grant received from the Carnegie Foundation: $10,000
Date library opened: November 4, 1909
Architect: Charles Moogk
The Waterloo’s Mechanics’ Institute was formed in 1875 and under its direction, a library room was designated in 1876 and was located in the Waterloo Town Hall. The library had books in both English and German and the subscription fee to use the library was two dollars. In 1887 the Free Library of Waterloo was formed due to increased demand and the fee to use the libary was abolished. The library was quite extensive in comparison to the other libraries in the the region. In 1901, the Waterloo Free Library’s collection contained 7,013 volumes.
The library room in the town hall could not contain this growing collection so the library applied for a grant from the Carnegie Foundation and in 1909 the new building was opened. In 1964 the library had once again had outgrown it's location and a new building across the street was constructed and opened on June 11, 1966. The Waterloo Police Force occupied the Carnegie building for some time but moved to larger offices on Erb Street. Currently, the building is used as the national head office for Habitat for Humanity Canada.
Visit the Waterloo Public Library webstie for a more detailed account of the library's history.