Dr. Valvano is a Professor of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases at the Centre for Experimental Medicine, Queen's University Belfast, Belfast, United Kingdom, and is also Professor Emeritus in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada.
His laboratory is in the Wellcome-Wolfson Institute of Experimental Medicine, Queen's University Belfast.
Office number (44) (0) 28 9097 6025
Research is fun...just a lifestyle, not a job.
Lab's Mission Statement
- To carry out hypothesis-driven research in microbiology
- To train graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to become outstanding biomedical scientists
- To develop and foster an environment of scientific inquiry, and at the same time respect for each individual's expertise and contribution
- To place an emphasis on personal and scientific integrity and on team player skills
Advice for Young (and Old too) Professors
- "...although you've been hired for your scientific skills and research potential, your eventual success will depend heavily on your ability to guide, lead, and empower others to do their best work..." (Thomas Cech).
- "...only science, exact science about human nature itself, and the most sincere approach to it by the aid of the all-powerful scientific method, will deliver man from its present gloom, and will purge him from his contemporary shame in the sphere of interhuman relations..." (Ivan Pavlov, 1922).
- "...We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing..." (George Bernard Show).
Shi-qi An, PhD Molecular Microbiology (Guangxi University, China), Postdoctoral Research Associate
From China via Ireland and Scotland and back, to shine sunlight on Burkholderia global regulation of virulence.
Fabiana Bisaro, BSc Biotechnology (University of Rosario, Rosario, Argentina), International PhD Student
Willing to exchange sun for clouds to better herself while getting her hands entangled with actin fibers in disarray...and smiling about it.
MarWa NaGuib Khobaz, MSc Pharmaceutical Microbiology (University of Alexandria, Egypt), Newton-Moshraf International PhD Student
From the land of sun and sand to the Irish rocks to unravel novel mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance in Burkholderia.
Sam Patterson, MSci Biological Sciences, MSc Student
In pursuit of novel pathways to regulate Type 6 secretion in Burkholderia cenocepacia.
Sean Keenan, MRes Biomedical Sciences, MSc Student
From biostatistics to silver staining of Achromobacter lipopolysaccharide: do not mess with me.
Dr. Sima Tokajian, PhD, Associate Professor, Lebanese American University at Byblos; Visiting Professor
From the land of the Canaanites to the Belfast cloud to combat multidrug antibioitc resistance in ESKAPE pathogens.
2016 Honours' Students: Stephen Carson (Queen's University)
Also from this web page:
Are you interested in joining our laboratory? Then read more
- Do you enjoy adventure and exploration and don't care being frustrated from time to time?
- Have you ever wondered how does it feel to discover something new?
- You don't like the routine of a life without excitement
- You would like to explore the fascinating world of microbiology but you are not a microbiologist
- If the answer to all of the above is YES! click on any of the links below as appropriate
- Postdoctoral studies in the Valvano Lab
- PhD studies in the Valvano lab
- Master's (MRes) in Translational Medicine
- Summer Internships in the Valvano lab
- Intercalated B. Sc. degree Research Projects in the Valvano lab