- "Philosophy of Cosmology." To appear in The Oxford Handbook for the Philosophy of Physics, edited by B. Batterman. [pre-print]
- "Time in Cosmology." To appear in The Blackwell Companion to the Philosophy of Time, ed. by A. Bardon and H. Dyke. [pre-print]
- "Newton's Principia," with Eric Schliesser. To appear in The Oxford Handbook for the History of Physics, edited by J. Buchwald and R. Fox (forthcoming). [pre-print]
- "Inflation as a Theory of Structure Formation," in Beyond Einstein, ed. by D. Rowe. Einstein Studies Vol. 13. Boston: Birhauser (forthcoming in 2012). [pre-print]
- "Einstein's Role in the Creation of Relativistic Cosmology." To appear in The Cambridge Companion to Einstein, edited by M. Janssen and C. Lehner. [pre-print]
- "Cotes' Queries: Newton's Empricism and Conceptions of Matter," with Zvi Biener. In Interpreting Newton, edited by E. Schliesser and A. Janiak. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (2012), pp. 105-137. [pre-print]
- "Time Travel and Time Machines," with Christian Wüthrich. In The Oxford Handbook on Time, edited by C. Callender. Oxford: Oxford University Press (2011), pp. 577-630. [pre-print]
- "Do the Laws of Physics Forbid the Operation of Time Machines?," with John Earman and Christian Wüthrich. Synthese (2009) 169: 91-124. Springerlink, earlier version at PhilSci Archive.
- "Mie's Theories of Matter and Gravitation," with C. Martin, in The Genesis of General Relativity, Boston: Springer (2007). [pre-print]
- The Genesis of General Relativity, associate editor, with J. Renn, M. Schemmel, and C. Martin. Vol. I, Theories of Gravitation in the Twilight of Classical Physics; Vol. II, Alternative Approaches to General Relativity. Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science Vol. 250. Boston: Springer (2007). [book]
- "The Elusive Higgs Mechanism.'' Philosophy of Science 73 (2006): 487-499. [journal]
- "False Vacuum: Early Universe Cosmology and the Development of Inflation," in The Universe of General Relativity, edited by J. Eisenstaedt and A. J. Kox, Einstein Studies Vol. 11, Boston: Birkhauser (2005). [book]
- "Pendulums, Pedagogy, and Matter: Lessons from the editing of Newton's Principia," with Zvi Biener, Science and Education 13 (2004): 309-320. Reprinted in Matthews, M., Gauld, C., and Stinner A. (eds.), The Pendulum: Scientific, Historical, Philosophical, and Educational Perspectives (2005), Dordrecht: Springer.
Reviews and other contributions
- Guest editor, with Wayne Myrvold: "Philosophy of Quantum Field Theory," special issue of Studies in the History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 42 (2011). Editorial introduction, pp. 77-80.
- "Interpreting Gauge Theories," review of Gauging What's Real by Richard Healey. Metascience (2009) 18: 11-22. [pre-print]
- Entry on Dennis Sciama, for New Dictionary of Scientific Biography, ed. by N. Koertge et al. New York: Scribner's (December 2007). [pre-print]
- "Tools without Theories," review of Drawing Theories Apart: The Dispersion of Feynman Diagrams in Postwar Physics, by D. Kaiser. Metascience 15 (2006): 333-337. [journal, pre-print]
- Review of Reading Natural Philosophy, edited by D. Malament, Studies in the History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 36 (2005): 194-199. [journal, pre-print]
- Review of The Future of Spacetime, Stephen Hawking et al., Studies in the History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 34 (2003): 680-683. [journal, pre-print]
- Essay review of The Cambridge Companion to Newton, with Zvi Biener. Notre Dame Philosophical Review 2003.01.04. [link]
Work in Progress
Comments welcome on drafts, but please do not quote or cite without permission.